This service is set up in two groups – Peaceful Families and Mothers in Mind.
Eligibility requirements for this group are mothers, aged 16 years and older, whose children (4-18 years old) have been exposed to abuse in the home. The general format of the program is for moms, their children and group facilitators to gather together for a meal and family activity and then the larger group breaks into smaller groups (one group for the mothers, and then groups for the children depending on number of children and their ages) to discuss the weekly session’s topic.
The aim of this program is to provide:
- Early intervention so that children may heal from the harmful effects and thus avoid the later need for more intensive supports
- Women and children with a safe place to process the violence they have been exposed to
- Methods of addressing social and behavioural issues that can result from exposure to abuse
- Support to children in their understanding that it is not their fault or responsibility
- Support to mothers as they help their children heal and gain confidence in their parenting skills and understanding of their child’s experience
Mothers in Mind
This 10 week group is designed for mothers who have experienced a traumatic event and/or unhealthy/abusive family dynamics in their childhood or adult life and their children (four years of age and under). Each week, moms and their children spend time participating in activities that are geared towards enhancing parenting skills, strengthening the parent-child relationship, and learning new skills for managing stress that can accompany parenthood.
We are grateful for the support of the Ministry of Community and Social Services in providing funding for these programs.