Please call 519-942-4122, ext. 247 before dropping off food donations.
Family Transition Place has recently developed a thorough food handling process and Food Donations Handbook*. We can accept perishable and non-perishable (including fresh and frozen) quality food items that have valid expiry dates, and are not damaged or spoiled, as well as some prepared food items. Due to health and safety regulations, these prepared items must be from a regulated food provider, facility or caterer, and not previously served to the public (event buffet, banquet, etc.).
If you have a food donation that meets our health and safety regulations, we would appreciate you calling the number below to make arrangements for delivery, and you completing the applicable areas of our Food Donations Form to accompany the donation.
You are not liable for any risk associated with your donation. Family Transition Place food donors are protected by Ontario’s Donation of Food Act, 1994. This legislation protects those who, in good faith, donate or distribute fresh food.
Food items that are used regularly:
- Non-perishable food**:
- Peanut-free school snacks fruit cups, apple sauce, puddings, granola bars
- Canned pasta sauce
- Canned vegetables
- “Cooking soups”: tomato soup, cream of chicken, cream of celery, cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli, cheddar soup
- Breakfast cereals cold (regular-size boxes) and hot like oatmeal (individual packages)
- Reusable water bottles, school lunch containers/Tupperware
- Apple juice, orange juice, hot chocolate, frozen juice mix
- Frozen individual entrees
- Frozen meat and fish
PLEASE NOTE: WE CURRENTLY HAVE A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF CANNED BEANS AND DRIED PASTA
- Perishable food** – for example: meats, cheese, fruit, vegetables, brown and white sugar
For more information on what we’ll accept and our food donation guidelines, please contact Kelly Lee at 519-942-4122, ext. 243.
*Adapted with the permission of York Region Community and Health Services.