Frequently Asked Questions

I have pets. If I come to the shelter, what will happen to them? Can I bring them with me?

Through recent modifications made to our shelter spaces to ensure personal and private accommodations for families staying with us, we are now able to welcome companion pets into the shelter. We also continue to have long-standing partnerships with local veterinary services, the OSPCA, local kennels and foster families through the SafePet Ontario program that can assist in keeping your pets safe. Please speak with staff about your specific concerns and needs.

Can I continue working if I come to the shelter?
Yes, you can continue to work. If you have children, you will need to make alternate child care arrangements as there isn’t full-time child care available. Shift work can also be accommodated.
I have special dietary needs. Is the shelter able to assist me with this?
Yes. We try our best to meet your individual needs and discuss this weekly at our house meeting when we prepare our grocery order. Please let staff know what you require.
I have a disability that prevents me from using the stairs. Will this make me ineligible for a shelter stay?
We have one wheelchair accessible unit that is self-contained and includes laundry and washroom facilities. We also have two additional accessible rooms that adjoin to accommodate families.
Will I have to share my room with other families?

No. You will have your own self-contained unit that includes a bathroom, kitchenette, living space and bedroom.

How much do your services cost?
There is no cost for our counselling or shelter services. Our programs receive government funding and any additional costs are offset by grants as well as donations from individuals, organizations and corporations.
How will counselling help me?
First, counselling at FTP provides you with a safe and supportive environment to express your experiences and feelings. We will help you problem solve to find solutions to your issues, help you understand how abuse has impacted your life, and help you make plans to make your life better for you and your children. Counsellors will also provide you with referrals to other agencies whose programs and services will give you other support you may need.
Do you have services for men?
We provide information, referrals and support through the crisis line. As well, we provide brief counselling to men who have been sexually abused, whether it’s a recent sexual assault, historical assault or childhood sexual abuse.
How old do you have to be to access counselling services?
We provide counselling for women sixteen years of age and over.
Can I come for counselling if I am still in the abusive relationship?
Yes, you chose what you want to focus on in counselling, whether it is recovering from an abusive relationship, working on being safe in your relationship (emotionally and physically) or working on leaving your relationship. Counselling is “client centred” which means we help you create and work towards clear goals that you set.
How would my information be shared with others?
With your permission:
We will forward the appropriate information to the person requesting it after you have completed a “Consent to Release Information” form. You will be given the opportunity to review the information before it is sent.

Without your permission:
We will share identifying information about you or your family with members of the Family Transition Place team involved in the services you are receiving.

We will share necessary information, as required by law,

  • if there is any indication that a child is being abused, is in need of protection or is otherwise at risk;
  • if there is risk of serious or imminent harm to yourself or others;
  • if there is an indication of past or present misconduct by a health professional;
  • to respond to a valid subpoena, search warrant or other court document.

Your information may also be used to evaluate and improve the quality of Family Transition Place services.

Translate »