Has your current or former spouse, lover or dating partner ever…
- expected you to jump when fingers are snapped?
- embarrassed or made fun of you in front of friends?
- put down your accomplishments or goals?
- withheld approval, appreciation, or affection to punish you?
- continually criticized you, called you names, shouted at you?
- ridiculed or insulted your most valued beliefs, your religion, race, class, or sexual preference?
- been very jealous or accused you of imagined affairs?
- blamed you for all the problems in your relationship?
- manipulated you with lies and contradictions?
- opened your mail without permission or monitored your telephone calls?
- told you his/her friends are watching you and will tell him/her where you’ve been or who you’ve been with?
- insisted you dress the way s/he wants?
- used drugs or alcohol as an excuse for treating you badly?
- isolated you from your friends or family?
- limited or withheld your access to cash, bank accounts or your paycheque?
- accumulated debt in your joint names without your consent?
- punched, shoved, slapped, bit, kicked, choked, or hit you?
- forced you to have sex when you were ill or didn’t want to?
- made you have unprotected sex or knowingly passed on a sexually transmitted disease to you?
- exposed you to pornography or unwanted sexual comments?
- repeatedly called, emailed or followed you when you ended a relationship even when you asked him/her to stop?
- threatened to commit suicide if you leave?
- threatened to hurt your pets, your children, your relatives or your friends?
If you have ever experienced these things in a relationship, you have experienced abuse.
If you feel depressed, lack confidence or are having trouble feeling good about life, know that you can overcome these effects of being abused. You can lead a healthier, happier life.
Help is available. Call Family Transition Place.
519-941-HELP (4357), 905-584-HELP (4357) or 1-800-265-9178.