Employment & Volunteering Opportunities
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELLOR – NIGHTS
Under the direction of the Manager of Residential and Outreach Services, the Residential Counsellor – Nights is responsible for the operation of a 24 hour Emergency Shelter for women who have experienced abuse and their children.
Responsibilities will include:
- Safety and security of the facility and clients
- Supportive counselling, information and referral to appropriate legal, medical and housing services, and other community resources
- Crisis Line counselling
- Advocacy on behalf of clients with community resources
- Completion of administrative tasks i.e. statistical record keeping, intake procedures, reports
- Routine maintenance and security procedures
- Post-Secondary Education in the Social Services field or equivalent experience and specialized training
- Knowledge of violence against women and children issues
- Feminist working perspective
- Crisis intervention and problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work both cooperatively as a team member and independently
- Basic knowledge of community resources and how to access them
- Strong supportive counselling skills
- Knowledge of basic residential facility management
- Skills in the use of a personal computer for statistical recording, correspondence and report writing
- Proof of valid Ontario Driver’s Licence and automobile insurance
- Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check
Hours of Work:
- Full time – rotating schedule
- Overnight Shifts only, including weekends
Family Transition Place is dedicated to achieving a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward your resume by 4:00pm on Thursday, March 1, 2018 to:
Email: email@example.com Fax #: (519) 942-8243
There are no volunteer opportunities at this time. Please check back for future updates.
The volunteer needs to understand the parameters around safety and the importance of confidentiality. The ideal candidate will be able to adapt to an emotionally challenging environment, be a problem solver, and reliable. Potential volunteers must agree to Family Transition Place’s Volunteer Commitment to Privacy and Code of Conduct policies, and submit a valid Police Vulnerable Sector check.
For more information on being involved with Family Transition Place as a volunteer, please refer to our Volunteer Handbook.
PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to accept applicants who have received Residential, Counselling or Legal Support services from Family Transition Place within the last twelve months.
For those interested in applying for future volunteer positions, please complete and submit a Volunteer Application. When a mutually beneficial opportunity arises, we will contact applicants to discuss availability.
Generally, our volunteer needs are limited to the following opportunities:
- Fundraising Committees (HOPE Event & International Women’s Day Luncheon)
- Board of Directors
Training and Benefits
- orientation to the agency;
- information on woman abuse and its impact on children;
- ongoing training and skills development;
- current information about Family Transition Place events and activities;
- a sense of satisfaction, contribution and purpose by participating in a social movement to end violence against women and their children.
Volunteers are expected to:
- complete an application, obtain a criminal reference check and sign a commitment to privacy form;
- attend training;
- commit to a minimum of one year.
Once your form is received you will be contacted by our Events & Community Relations Coordinator.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot open the form or would like more information please call 519-942-4122 or 905-584-4357 ext.243.